Week 3 reflection

This week's lecture and reading made me realize how little I know about digital audio and recording in general. I have been using music notation software (Sibelius) for years; writing percussion music for marching bands, and indoor drum line, etc. I know what MIDI is, how to use the music notation software, and I have used Garage Band a few times to edit music, but that is pretty much the extent of my digital music knowledge.

When listening to the lecture for this week, Dr. Bazan talked about creativity on his last slide of the presentation. He said that he "was surprised that many music educators and music education students aren't experienced composers, song writers, or improvisors." This statement describes me in a number of ways. In my high school we didn't discuss composition. We really didn't even talk about how to improvise. We didn't have a jazz band to even start the conversation of improvisation. Even in my undergrad, we weren't required to compose or improvise. I wasn't in the jazz ensembles to learn how to improvise from the jazz professors. We did have a course in orchestration where we had to arrange a piece for an orchestra, but not to compose original music. Looking back, I wish I would have participated in the jazz ensembles, or asked some of my professors about composition or improvisation because I could have shared that knowledge with my students.

I am excited to learn how to use these digital recording platforms and the creative process that is involved in creating original music. I have never thought of myself as a song writer, but more of a 'percussion arranger and composer.' I do not have a strong guitar or piano background, so for this creativity project, I will definitely ask more talented musicians to be assisting me. I am looking forward to getting started.

Comments

  1. I too never thought of myself as a songwriter! I think this project will definitely help stretch my musicianship! In my undergrad I was challenged to improvise with general methods, and with my trumpet lessons (with question answer things). I am excited for us to grow over these next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely also one of those music educators that are not experienced composers, song writers or improvisors! I am very much a novice at song-writing. I believe that during my undergrad degree, I was only assigned one "composition" project. It was a very, very simple melody over a very, very, very simple two-part piano accompaniment. I agree with David, this week's Soundation project and the composition project due in week 6 will definitely help me stretch my musicianship!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Reflection

Week 2 Reflection

Noteflight review