Week 4 reflection

When reading this week's assignment, the section on practice motivation made me stop and think about my students. I know that some of my students do not practice at all. Some students only practice for the grade on their practice assessments. Fewer students enjoy practicing and are intrinsically motivated to do so on a regular basis. I have to admit; I was the student who didn't practice as much as I should have. As a percussionist, all of the concert band music, pep band music, and for the most part marching band music came naturally to me. Now as a music educator I can look back and tell my students that even if the music comes naturally, you still need to improve on something each week. The sentence about teachers extrinsically motivating students also made me think of my classroom and students. I do use small prizes, stickers, and rewards to help motivate, especially my younger students, to practice. Wouldn't it be great if all of our students had that intrinsic drive to want to progress every day without some reward?

Another section of the reading caught my attention was the technology and practice section. At my middle schools, we started using the Essential Elements interactive studio this year. This is a fantastic program and an excellent resource for both teachers and students. It is a free app that students can access by downloading the app or going to their website. The students can log in to their account, check their new assignments for the week, search the calendar for upcoming events, email their teachers, practice with an accompaniment, and record their practice and submit it for grading. My favorite feature has been the recording feature and the accompaniments that are provided. Students can listen to how the song goes, practice with that song being played, and record with or without accompaniment. I highly suggest using this app with your middle school band students.

The modeling section of the reading was also interesting to me. I do play along in class, especially with my beginning bands. I usually set a metronome and model what tone should be produced, or how to play a specific articulation. Then I ask the students to echo what I play. I think that it helps students understand what a characteristic sound should be on their instrument. It may not always be professional level sounds, but I think I can demonstrate at an intermediate level which is all they need for beginners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Reflection

Week 2 Reflection

Noteflight review